4 “There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.”
HOW GOD DISTRIBUTES GIFTS
I. All three members of the Godhead participate in giving gifts:
1. God the Father, Ro 12:3; 1 Co 12:6.
2. God the Son, Ep 4:7-11; 1 Co 12:5.
3. God the Holy Spirit, 1 Co 12:4, 9, 11, 18, 28.
II. God distributes gifts to each believer individually, Ep 4:7; 1 Co 12:7,11; 1 Pe 4:10-11.
1. All believers have at least one spiritual gift.
2. Most believers have more than one gift.
3. No believer has all the spiritual gifts.
4. Each gift is essential to the proper function of the body of Christ, 1 Co 12:14-18.
III. God distributes gifts on the basis of grace.
1. God does not distribute gifts because of maturity. The Corinthian church was the most gifted but the most immature, 1 Co 1:7.
2. God does not give gifts based on education.
3. God does not give gifts because of prayer.
4. God gives gifts because of grace, Ro 12:3.
God gives believers gifts not because of merit but because of grace.
We glorify God with our gifts because He gave them to us on the basis of His unadulterated grace.
1 Co 4: 7For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?